Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wow.

It's been almost two weeks already, being back an living in Israel, since my quick trip to the US. I was soo happy to be back at the kibbutz with all of my friends, although I was a little homesick the first few days back. The past week and a half has been relatively normal. Besides the fact that I got to take part in Yom Hazikaron (Israel's Memorial Day for fallen soldiers) and Yom Ha' atzmaut (Israel's Independence Day). Sunday night, our entire group went to the Kotel, where a huge ceremony took place. It was soo big that that the President was there and said a speech. It was craziness trying to get through the security, people pushing and shoving everywhere. Unfortunately, by the time we got in, we had missed hearing the president speak. But before we all got through security, we witnessed something insane. It went from being super loud, everyone talking, to dead silent while the siren blasted all over Israel, back to crazy loudness again in a matter of a few minutes. That was something that I have never ever experienced and it is something I will never ever forget. There was such a wide variety of people at the ceremony: soldiers, Orthodox, tourists, kids, adults, men, women.. You name it and they were there. The part of the ceremony that I felt most connected to was at the end when Hatikva was sung by EVERYONE there. I looked around and we were singing and there wasn't one person that I saw who wasn't singing. At that moment I felt connected to Israel and everyone living there and to Judaism more than I ever have. I'm not exactly sure why, but I just did.
The next morning (Monday), we took part in the ceremony at the kibbutz ceremony. It was actually really cool to be thought of as part of the kibbutz and to see people and recognize them from just walking around the kibbutz.
Later that night, the atmosphere of the kibbutz and Israel as a whole changed drastically from being forlorn to being full of energy and joy. It was the change from Memorial Day to Independence Day. The change was so dramatically overwhelming, most of us weren't sure what we were supposed to feel or how we were supposed to act. To celebrate Independence Day, we had friendly competitions between the four Jewish history classes, a barbecue, had a celebration at the kibbutz, and then went to Benyahuda Street. Benyahuda street was beyond packed, it was so hard to move. But everyone around me was just giving off good vibes. People were dancing, singing, and just having fun all night long. We didn't get back to the kibbutz until about 12, and by that time everyone was so overtired still a little hyped up. To experience those two days was like no other. It's just another one to add to my already amazing list of experiences I've had since I've been here. They just keep rolling in and I'm just so lucky to be hit by them. Up next, is Poland!! I am leaving this Sunday and will be spending 5 days there. I don't even know how to feel about Poland and I know that once I get there I still won't know, but I'm okay with that. Details on that trip coming soon.

Included are pictures of the ceremony and the Kotel and Benyahuda street!



2 comments:

  1. Emma,
    I am so enjoying your blog. You are doing a great job expressing yourself in a v isual manner. am so glad you are getting such a wonderful opportunity. Enjoy Poland, as I say that, I am remembering your brothers comment to me, about me getting with the program, since you weren't going to Poland it was Isreal. Anyways, enjoy!
    Love you,
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Soon I will have a post about Poland, but that is going to take a little bit to write. I'm so glad that you are liking my blog!

    Love you,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete