Monday, April 8, 2013

Back In The USA!!

          This past Saturday was my baby brother Ben's Bar Mitzvah.  I left Israel Thursday afternoon and got to New York that night.  It was super strange to be back in "America," after spending so much time in Israel.  Besides that strange feeling, I was super duper excited because I saw all of my friends and family, and I was just beyond happy to be able to share that special experience and watch as Ben became a man.  Even though I was only going to be there for 48 hours, it was definitely a fun-packed 48 hours.  On Friday, I got up relatively early to start my day of errands.  First on the list was manicure-pedicure with my mom.  That was exactly what I needed.  After that, I felt tons more clean, from camping for a week.  Next on the list was breakfast.  I knew days before exactly what I wanted to eat that Friday morning.  An egg sandwich and a large half and half (half lemonade, half iced tea) from Bayview Deli, my fave.  After breakfast, I dropped my mom at home so she could do some things to get ready for the Bar Mitzvah, and so that I could go to school and surprise my friends.  Some of them knew I was going to be in school during the lunch period, but others didn't.  I got funny looks from people as I walked down the halls, and when I entered the cafeteria.  Those people knew that I wasn't supposed to be there, and were very confused.  I couldn't agree more.  It felt way too weird for me to be in my school, when technically I don't go there.  However, it was really nice to be able to see everyone.  I even got to see my math teacher and spanish teacher. After visiting the school, I picked up my mom and headed to the doctor for a check-up.  After the doctor, I went the Shine Hair Studio, where I obviously got a haircut.  Between the nail salon and hair salon, I was starting to feel like a human again.   I then headed to Urban for a quick dress shopping because the dress that I had gotten before I left for Israel was a tad bit on the small side, since I grew in the last two months.  Luckily, I found a gorgeous white dress in a matter of five minutes.  My mom and I then quickly drove back to our house to get ready for dinner.  Dinner was at the Glen Cove Mansion, where all of my out of town relatives were staying.  After dinner, was the oneg service, basically a regular Friday night Shabbat service with desserts afterwards.  Since I was still on Israeli time, I felt myself dozing a bit during the service, but at soon as I did, I would try and do something to wake myself up a bit.  Once home, two of my friends who I hadn't seen yet, came over for a little bit.  We were able to catch up some, which was great.  After they left, I fell asleep right away.
          The next morning, Saturday/the big day, I had to wake up pretty early again, because my mom wanted to get to the Synagogue with enough time to take family pictures, before the service started.  We took our family pictures outside, where everyone (mainly the girls/women) were freezing their butts off.    The anticipation was killing me, and the rest of my family, to see little Ben, who is the last of us three kids, to become a Bar Mitzvah.  He, and his friend Dylan, did a wonderful job, and I couldn't have been prouder.  The best part, was seeing him wear the tallis I brought back for him from Israel.  Right after the service, we drove to H on the Harbor, where his party was.  Fun fact: I also had my Bat Mitzvah party at this place.  The theme of the party was obviously hockey.  The place was set up really nicely: it had center pieces of squishy hockey pucks, and bleachers with a picture of an ice hockey rink behind it.  Since the party was in the day time, afterwards, my family and a few of my friends went back to the Glen Cove Mansion to hang out and have dinner.  But, before we went to the hotel, my friend Ali and I went on a few errands, to get some stuff that I wanted to bring back with me to Israel.  While at the hotel, I ate, chilled out, and had fun with my friends.  Still on Israeli time, I passed out on my friend Sarah's lap.  That was a sign that it was time to go home and sleep, especially since I had to get up early for my flight the next day.  Unfortunately, when I got home from the hotel, I still had to pack my bags for the flight back to Israel.  So my mom helped me by speeding up the process and putting the stuff in the luggage that I gave her, since she is an expert packer.  Once all packed, I was finally able to go to sleep.  Again, the next morning (Sunday) I woke up early to shower and pack last minute things.  I then said goodbye to Ben, went to the bagel store, said goodbye to Aine, and was the on my way to the airport.  Only my parents came to the airport because it was pretty early.  When I got there, I checked in, checked my luggage, and hung out with my parents.  I didn't have that much time before I had to go through security and board my plane.  So I said my goodbyes, and was on my way.
          On the plane, I originally had an isle seat, next to an older woman and her husband.  She had asked me to switch seats with her because she had a condition where she needed to be able to get up frequently and walk around, but I didn't feel comfortable sitting in between her and her husband.  So, I told her that if another isle seat was open, I would let her take my seat.  To my luck, a young woman and her baby moved seats and there was now an empty seat a few rows back from me.  I told the woman she could have my seat, and she was ecstatic!  Although the seat I moved into wasn't an isle seat, I felt really good about making that woman happy.  And just my luck, I ended up sitting next to a girl who was also 17 and flying alone.  We instantly began talking and had a lot of fun together on our flight.  It was nice to have someone talk to on such a long flight.    
          I landed this morning at 5:35 am and got back to Kibbutz Tzuba by 8 am.  It feels good to be back at Tzuba and to see everyone.  Even though I am missing everyone back home, at the moment, I know that I will be totally fine and have the time of my life.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment